South Breeze Farm hosted the Giving Thanks Challenge and I participated at Small Reflections in November and decided to continue indefinitely … generating the following list one day at a time throughout the month of January. I’ve decided to transfer the lists at the end of each month from Small Reflections to Happily Retired Gal … just because. Click to see previous lists already published here.
2. I managed to post on all 4 blogs today (a rare fete) … shared recent awards others have given me & that I’ve created myself … and discovered that I received another from Roger of Idaho Photo that I’ll share tomorrow.
3. I’ve cleared out the Christmas ‘decor’ from my sidebars and planned ahead for a change, creating two ‘ROSE’ collages to post for Today’s Flowers … (probably the last until Spring unless I dig into my archives because there are just a few apricot roses left & I’ll be cutting the bushes back soon) … and two SKY collages, all to share tomorrow.
4. for a long phone conversation with my sister tonight (currently in Mesa, AZ) … learning she’ll be home at the end of this week after spending the last few years traveling the USA with her husband in an RV … Yippee!
5. I accepted the invitation to meet friends for lunch on Monday even though it meant I wasn’t home to visit blogs as intended. Methinks ‘real’ life needs to take priority over the ‘virtual’ world, right?
6. for the breath-taking sunsets here at the beach the last two days. I took pictures with my Casio Exilim and will share soon.
7. to have a new perm and Nikon D60 camera!!! I’ll be experimenting and sharing photos soon ;–)
8. the sun FINALLY came out late this afternoon (after a long cool foggy day) so I was able to take sunset photos with my new camera ;–)
9. to spend the afternoon with my sister … walking at the beach and out onto a pier … snapping photos of pelicans, seagulls, dolphins, a seal & a whale as we chatted together, catching up after her lengthy RV adventure traveling the USA.
10. to enjoy half a vegetarian omelet with fresh salsa and Hobo potatoes at the Harbor House Cafe in Sunset Beach this morning while visiting with my sister & her husband.
11. the gusty Santa Ana Winds laid down around sunset permitting me to walk down to the water’s edge to capture amazingly colorful images I plan to share soon.
12. so many friends showed up at Retired Gals Lunch though I would have enjoyed eating INSIDE out of the wind better than sitting outside on the patio.
13. my sister & I are signed up for our first ‘Digital Camera’ class together on Wednesday … that’s tomorrow ;–)
14. that it’s been a week since my perm so I could wash my hair this morning … finally!
15. for spending a lovely after- noon with my sister yesterday (including a delicious lunch at Z’Tejas) even though the computer class was canceled due to a corporate meeting at Ritz Camera. Such is life … we’re scheduled for another in early February & hopefully all will go as planned with that one.
16. the Santa Ana winds calmed down significantly permitting a friend & I to walk along the beach and enjoy a delicious lunch at a beach-side restaurant.
17. for the 3 baskets of large juicy and delicious strawberries I purchased at a Farmer’s Market
on Friday, and realizing that the Australian Open Tennis Champion- ships begin tomorrow in time to set the DVR … it’s TENNIS TIME again ;–)
18. for awakening to the sounds of surf pounding on the shore early this morning … signaling the shift from off-shore to on-shore breezes.
19. for tennis matches to watch today. I’ve watched Andy Roddick take his first match easily, and Ana Ivanovic win hers with a bit more difficulty already.
20. it’s Inauguration Day … and I’m (uncharacteristically) glued to the television watching coverage of the preliminaries … amazed at the vast numbers of people braving the cold to witness this historic event in person.
21. a friend called around 11:15 and invited me to join her for lunch. We shared a tasty vegetarian omelet at the Harbor House Cafe in Sunset Beach and chatted for hours … after which I shopped for groceries on the way home … so I didn’t have time to visit many blogs yesterday. I’m hoping to watch recorded Australian Open tennis matches tomorrow & visit blogs during commercial breaks. Such are the simple joys of retirement ;–)
22. for onshore breezes bringing rain clouds and drizzles while I stayed home and watched more tennis matches recorded on the DVR!
23. the rain continues today with ‘periodic breaks’ so that Molly & I can get outside to walk, play, and capture ‘raindrops’ on roses, pansies & other flowers too.
24. for all those who visit my blogs & leave comments on my posts.
26. Serena & Venus Williams are playing well in doubles together again … taking out one set of opponents after the next.
27. Andy Roddick is playing excellent tennis ‘down under’ this year & took out Novak Djokovic today … so he’s still ‘alive’ in the Australian Open draw!!! Serena managed to turn around the quarter final match against Kuznetsova after dropping the first set in the heat before the roof was finally closed … big relief.
28. Serena’s semi-final match with Dementieva was competitive from the start … close & exciting to watch from the first point! It’s good that she won in 2 sets … 6-3, 6-4 … because she and Venus played their doubles match later in the day. I’ve not seen those results yet. Currently I’m watching the other women’s semi-final between Safina & Zvonareva and am looking forward to the men’s semi-final between Roddick & Federer played afterward.
29. I’m finally caught up with the recorded tennis matches so perhaps I’ll be able to catch up with blog visits & email too over the next few days!
30. for the highly competitive, exciting marathon 5 set men’s semi-final match between Fernando Verdasco & Rafa Nadal … lasting 5 hours 14 minutes … fun to watch from start to finish! That means Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal will play for the Championship on Sunday.
31. for a long visit with my sister, her husband, and a high school friend I’ve not seen in over 20 years. How fun to catch up after so much time.
Thought for Today
“Every thought is a seed. If you plant crab apples, don’t count on harvesting Golden Delicious.” Bill Meyer