“Pluck not the wayside flower;
It is the traveler’s dower.”
“Flowers really do intoxicate me.”
Click to ‘embiggen’ and for others participating in
Susan G. Komen for the Cure
The National Breast Cancer Foundation
South Breeze Farm hosted the Giving Thanks Challenge and I participated at Small Reflections in November of 2008 and decided to continue indefinitely … generating the following list one day at a time throughout the month of August. I’ve decided to transfer the lists at the end of each month from Small Reflections to Happily Retired Gal … just because. Click to see previous lists already published here.
1. for televised tennis to watch from the US Open in New York.
2. for a lovely visit with retired friends this morning as our working buddies begin the 2009 school year with students.
3. the Americans are doing well at the US Open Tennis Champion-ships. Many are already into the 3rd round and that hasn’t happened in quite some time.
4. for family & friends … phone calls & face to face visits. Today I shared a delightful lunch with a friend at Dukes where I ate my favorite dish (Seven Spice Ahi with steamed veggies substituted for the rice) and Hula Pie since we were celebrating J’s birthday belatedly.
5. for time spent with my good friend L who called to ask for a favor … and I was happy to oblige.
6. there’s been amazing tennis to watch on television today (detailed in my Sunday BYBS post at Sacred Ruminations) … catching up on yesterday’s matches too … gotta luv DVRs ;–)
7. for the continuing success of Melanie Oudin at the US Open Tennis Championships in New York.
8. for my happily retired life ;–)
9. Adult Ed classes start today and my morning Power Point class was kewl. I’m looking forward to experimenting on my own with what the instructor covered and to returning on Monday for the next class.
10. for this afternoon’s amazingly colorful sunset … viewed & photographed from my upstairs deck out back. Perhaps I’ll share a few tomorrow.
11. Molly & Aloha are becoming friends … gradually.
12. the rain finally stopped long enough for Rafa & Gonzo to finish their match and for Kim & Serena to play theirs, but I’m a bit sad at how both unfolded so strangely.
13. the weather in New York is clear … permitting match play to continue this morning, a day behind schedule ;–)
14. the Williams sisters were able to play in the Doubles Finals after the unfortunate incident on court Sunday night.
15. for some free time this morning to do some catching up on blog visits after falling WAY behind for a few days.
16. Adult School survived the High School District’s Budget cuts earlier this year. My Power Point class meets this morning (I love to learn new things) and I’m getting a new perm this afternoon (very much needed since I’m swimming regularly these days). Life is good!
17. My neighbor has hired a trainer to help her with Layla.
19. for the lovely pink sunset this evening.
21. for the companionship of Molly and Ms. Kitty.
22. for considerably cooler than predicted weather here at the beach in the midst of the HEAT WAVE in Southern California.
23. that the winds have been weaker than predicted creating better conditions for fire fighters to gain control of the wildfires currently burning in Southern California.
24. for the smell of coffee and early morning sunshine ;–)
25. I attended this morning’s Publisher class and learned quite a bit about how the program has changed over time.
26. to learn a bit about Medicare options at a meeting this morning … gathering information to read as I make this health care decision over the next few months before my 65th birthday.
27. for a ‘catch up’ phone call with my writing buddy from Taos giving me a ‘break’ from computer issues at just the right moment.
28. the weather has cooled off a bit … finally.
29. for all I’ve learned about Power Point this month.
30. Allen Tires had time to check & rotate my tires, Gustafson’s made time to change the oil in, do a safety check, and even wash the Explorer (all without an appointment) … before tomorrow’s drive up the mountain to Lake Arrowhead.
FYI – My previous Gratitude Lists can be found at Happily Retired Gal, my new WordPress site. It is my intention to keep this ‘Daily Gratitude List’ in my sidebar indefinitely because I believe it makes sense to focus on what’s right in our lives regularly. Click for:
2009 Lists – September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February, January
2008 Lists – December, November
“God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say ‘thank you?’” William A. Ward